Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What's so wrong with fitting in?

Preface: This is a big rant.

I'm sick and tired of being berated for my love of Tom's Shoes, pop music, Seven jeans, dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, and other things that are generally popular or trendy. I don't understand people's hatred of the norm or status quo or popularity. Just because other people like something doesn't mean it's of a lower quality or value.

Today, I got a harsh berating over my love of Taylor Swift. My response was "one day you'll have to grow to accept my horrible taste in music." This reasoning was shot down as it was explained to me that I was wrong and my taste was unacceptable. I have a few problems with this. First, isn't taste generally assumed to differ between people? Next, what makes people so superior in their "counter-culture" or oracle-like coolness? Half of the "cool" or "indie" songs I've heard have meaningless lyrics and don't make any sense. If I'm trying to cheer myself up or sing along to something, I'll take a kitschy pop song over nonsensical lyrics and sweet beats.

In a broader sense, what's so uncool about not being indie? I happen to look horrible in skinny jeans, find avant garde artsy films boring, and I don't feel a need to go to a cool neighborhood spot every meal. So sue me. I have spent far too much time letting people make me feel lame, and I'm done with it.

Let me affirm for the whole blogosphere - I like Taylor Swift. I like pop culture. I like lean pockets and cheap wine and designer goods... and I'm done apologizing for it.

1 comment:

  1. I have a MASSIVE girl-crush on T. Swift. Always have. (And yes, I always call her T. Swift, like we're buds or something. Ask Brian - he's approved the girl crush).

    Nothing wrong with that.

    Seven jeans make my ass look great. So I like them. Has nothing to do with anyone else - just me and my ass.

    Nothing wrong with that.

    Indie kids get off on making other people feel bad 8 times out of 10. It's what they do to validate themselves.

    There's a lot wrong with that, but nothing that will change...probably ever. You'll just have to keep ranting. In the mean time, keep on being yourself - WHATEVER that happens to be - cuz you're kinda fabulous. Especially the cheap wine loving part of you :)

    ReplyDelete